- How do I get started?
- First, visit homeview.com or download our app from iTunes and register. Once you have an account, log in and you will be presented with Getting Started screens that will help guide you through the process of setting up your first property.
- What is an object?
- In HomeView, Properties, Rooms and Items are all considered objects. Properties contain Rooms and Rooms contain Items. When you are at the Property level, you will see a photo strip a the bottom which displays all the Rooms in that Property. Similarly, when you drop down to the Room level, the photo strip displays all the items in that Room.
- What is Interactive Mode?
- Interactive Mode provides screens that walk you through adding objects as you create your Properties, Rooms, or Items. You can toggle Interactive Mode on or off in the Settings section on the right. You can also turn it off directly in any Interactive Mode screen.
- What are Templates?
- Every time you create a new object, its default template will add the labels for the details commonly associated with that object; examples are the lot size for a Property or purchase date and serial number for an Item. You can also use additional templates for sets of specialty details such as neighborhood information or installation details.
- When should I use Templates?
- Templates help you add a specific set of Details to any object. This avoids having to add Details one by one and can also help to build a comprehensive list of Details when you are unsure exactly which ones to add.
- What are Details?
- Events are used to record important dates related to the object. E.g., purchase date or warranty expiration date. Events can also be set to email or alert you of upcoming or expired dates.
- What info should I be saving about appliances, etc.?
- HomeView will automatically include the most common and useful detail labels for typical items which include, Brand, Model, Serial Number, Warranty, User Manual, Price and Purchase Dates. However, an ENERGY STAR rating for a refrigerator or the dimensions of a washing machine are examples of additional information that you might want to record.
- How do I store manuals and where do I find them?
- Manuals can be stored with any object as an Attachment and can be found by opening the Details view of your object.
- How do I store receipts?
- Receipts can be stored in a few ways. You can either scan your receipt and store it as an Attachment, snap a photo and add it to the item or manually enter key amounts such as price and sales tax as Currency details.
- How do I enter dates?
- Open the Details view, press the Plus Icon next to the Details list, then select the Event tab. Name your event and enter the date(s).
- Can I barcode scan items to save time?
- Yes! On your device simply add a new object, and tap the Barcode Icon to initiate a barcode scan. After a successful match, the Item will be presented to you with options to uncheck Details or Images before storing.
- How do I load in Photos?
- Photos can be either added singularly or in bulk. When you wish to add a new Photo to an object, simply select the Photo Icon in the Details view to open the Gallery dialog which offers a way to add Photos from the Gallery. If you are on a mobile device you can launch the camera to take a photo which will automatically be added as a background image for the object you were viewing.
To bulk load photos, visit the Gallery and select Add Photos. On a desktop it will prompt you to select photos from your file system. On a mobile device it will prompt you to either take a picture or select from your existing photos (camera roll).
- What about videos? (Can video be added?)
- Currently we do not have native video support throughout HomeView, however videos can be stored as Attachments to any object.
- What about paint colors?
- As with most data it depends on the use or need for the Detail. In the case of a paint color you could add a new Text Detail that specifies the actual name and CMYK percentages, or you could add a URL detail that links to the paint color on the vendors web site or snap a photo of the paint color and store it as an attachment or background image of the object.
- What is Sharing?
- Sharing allows you to give another user an ability to see your property. You can navigate to the Property and select the Sharing Icon in the bottom toolbar, or visit the Sharing screen in the sidebar and initiate a share by clicking the Sharing Icon in the toolbar at the bottom. Follow the instructions in the Sharing dialog and you will have the option to choose either Share a View, or Share a Copy. There you can enter the recipient’s email and add a note to send along with the share.
- How do I share temporarily?
- The default selection is Share a View which gives the other user a read-only view of your property. You also set a time limit for this view. Once you initiate this share, the user will receive an email with a link to accept the shared Property.
- How do I share permanently?
- Share a Copy gives the other user a complete copy of your Property. The user will receive an email with a link that will allow them to accept the shared Property.
There are a couple of key differences between these sharing types. View allows you to terminate the share at any time, but while the View is active the recipients of the share see any subsequent changes made to your Property. This can be handy for a real estate agent providing in-depth info about a listing.
On the other hand, once you give a Copy to someone, you have no further control over what they do with it nor will they see any subsequent changes that you make to your original Property.
- Do I have to do anything to keep my devices synced?
- No, your devices will re-sync each time you log in and also on a timed interval that you can change in Settings. You can also sync manually in Settings.
- What are projects and when would I use them?
- Projects can help you organize all the information for an object’s activity. For instance, a kitchen remodel could include the contact info for people involved in the project, the contractual documents, receipts, progress photos, etc.
- What are HomeView’s security measures?
- HomeView uses SSL to transmit data securely, with an encrypted database using Microsoft’s Azure cloud to keep your data safe and secure. We take your security and anonymity seriously.
- What about my privacy?
- What is the Warehouse?
- The Warehouse is a great place to store Items before they have found their permanent spot within HomeView. For example, if you bought some security cameras, you wouldn’t want to assign them to a specific room until you knew which serial number went where. Also, if you own an item such as a lawn mower that you use between properties, the Warehouse is a great place to store it.
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at E:\wwwroot\HouseSafeClient\index.php:178) in E:\wwwroot\HouseSafeClient\rightpanel.php on line 14